Sunday, January 30, 2011

More pix from Brian's build

This is the seatstay design that I've used for the last few bikes. This is one of those areas that framebuilders use as a "signature" for their style. I don't know if this is going to be the way that I do these all the time, but its my favorite so far.

I use a really large diameter tube on a very shallow angle so that the facet almost look flat, but has a soft "scooped" profile when its done. When its done, it almost looks like a solid bar that has been cut, but its completely hollow. Often, the seatstay ends are done with a cast plug that sticks in the top of the tube. These can have lots of different designs, but they always have a little bit of "heft" that I don't like. To be fair, no one would ever know either way I guess but if I'm going to add material to the bike it had better be for a good reason.

Here is a before and after picture of the seatstay...


The seatstays are now brazed to the frame. If you look closely, you'll see small pins (1/16" finishing nails) that hold them in the right spot while they are being brazed.

No comments: